Blender Tips Video

I just finished watching an awesome video about 14 tips for using Blender.  The very first tip is about using the Subdivide modifier, which can help round out details on a model really well.  He talks about how you can add loop cuts and slide them next to existing lines in order to make nice, sharp corners despite the Subdivide, and I thought to myself, "well, yeah, that's a pretty basic tip that almost all of the Blender videos that I watch use..."

And then he said that that was often a bad idea because all of those extraneous loop cuts make your geometry harder to work with (which is something that I've absolutely run up against and struggled to overcome).  He proceeded to show a really cool way to selectively use the Bevel modifier to create the same effect, without adding any extra geometry during the building process.  That means that your model remains really simple and easy to manipulate, even as you're adding some incredible details via those modifiers!  And that's just tip #1!  As I watched the video, I found myself pausing it after almost every tip so that I could open up Blender and play around with the technique that he had demonstrated (which meant that watching the whole thing took me several days).

If you're trying to learn 3D modelling with Blender, I absolutely recommend checking out the video (linked again here, for convenience).  I'm really looking forward to actually employing the techniques that I learned by watching it on my next project!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Filament Do I Have Left

Prusa MK3 Stringing at .05 mm Layer Height Resolved!

Using PrusaSlicer to Design Tree Supports for FDM Prints